abc art berlin contemporary

18.21.09.14
Images »

Presented together with Galerie Nordenhake.

“The chances to hang on are slim, as it is doubtful that anything will be done on time. The work of destruction will go on accelerated by competing good intentions. Illusion is our only defense.” – Zvi Hecker

The poetical introduction by Zvi Hecker to ‘IF WE ARE LUCKY’, conveys the essence of his installation for abc – art berlin contemporary. It is a glimpse into his perception on the instability of the world around us.

Following the recent work “Ruins of Good Intentions” at Neumeister Bar-Am, Hecker indicates that construction might also be a form of destruction, and that “progress” can actually be regressive.

‘IF WE ARE LUCKY’ takes the form of a cave, as a last escape and shelter. Decorating the caves’ non existing walls, are printed images of Palaeolithic cave paintings, found online, pixelated and enlarged, they serve as a reminder for our cultural predicament.

Zvi Hecker, Krakow,1931 – lives and works in Berlin.

Solo exhibitions include; Ruins of Good intentions – Neumeister Bar-Am, Berlin [2014]; The Thinking Eye – Galerie Nordenhake, Berlin [2013]; Ein neuer Platz am Brandenburger Tor – Aedes Pfefferberg Gallery, Berlin [2010];Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv [1996]; Julie M Gallery, Tel Aviv [1991]; Zvi Hecker – Heinz-Galinski School – Aedes Pfefferberg Gallery, Berlin [1993]; Israel Museum, Jerusalem [1976]. Zvi Hecker represented Israel at the 6th Venice Biennale of Architecture [1996].
Group exhibitions include: Jewish Identity in Contemporary Architecture – Jewish Museum, Berlin [2005]; 7th, 9th and 10th Venice Biennale of Architecture [2000, 2004 and 2006]; Home Delivery – The Museum of Modern Art, New York [2008].

Hecker studied painting at the Avni Institute of Art and Design, Tel Aviv, 1957 and graduated with degree in Architecture from Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 1955.

Hecker has won a number of architectural competitions and was awarded the Rechter prize for architecture in Tel-Aviv 1999 and the German Critic Prize for architecture 1996.